Garden Science Teacher
Our one-of-a-kind school on the coast near Half Moon Bay, CA, is searching for a highly personable, energetic, and experienced Garden Teacher.
- Lead four 1-hour garden classes per week during the 2019/20 school year
- Facilitate garden science classes, incorporating both environmental science and nutrition education as they relate to the garden
- Work with classroom teachers to develop lessons that support a range of curriculum areas (science, social studies, mathematics, language arts, etc.)
- Oversee and coordinate students’ hands-on experiences in the garden (planting, tending, harvesting, cooking, and serving at school events)
- Build involvement in and commitment to the school garden within the school community, including teachers, administrators, students, parents and volunteers
- Attend staff meetings as needed, and prepare report cards once per semester
- On average, 8-10 hours per week spent working at school
- Wilkinson School promotes respect and supportof community, nature, and the world around us
- Competitive salary with benefits will be offered, and will be based on qualifications
- Must be highly personable, and have a welcoming presence
- At least 2-3 years of project facilitation or teaching experience with youth aged 5-14 (outdoor group management experience preferred)
- Excellent communication skills, including with parents and children, and strong organization skills
- Knowledge and skills in small-scale organic food production or home gardening, urban gardening, botany, environmental science, health and nutrition, food systems, and food access
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite and Google docs required
- Value being part of a small school community; ability and willingness to work on school-wide projects and attend at least two school events throughout the year
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your resume and a cover email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wilkinson School is an equal opportunity employer.